Summary of ASYMCA Service to Soldiers and their Family Members
- The Armed Services YMCA sponsors Morale, Welfare, and Recreation Activities for soldiers and families of our adopted units, which are: the 62nd Engineer Battalion, the 2nd Battalion, 5th Cavalry, 1st Cavalry Division, the 4th Sustainment Brigade, and Headquarters and Headquarters Battalion, 1st Cavalry Division. This is usually a picnic or barbeque, organizational day, or a day where they get to relax and have fun at our Water Spray Park. The Y provides space for the activity, food, and our staff works the functions. This usually serves between 150 – upwards of 600 people. Total adopted soldiers and family members = 4,000+.
- We sponsor Easter and Christmas Parties for our adopted units. The Y provides the gifts, toys, food, space, and staff to work the functions. Over 2,500 children and family members are served.
- During the Christmas and Thanksgiving Holidays, the Y provides toy and food baskets to military families who are struggling. This program serves over 500 individuals.
- About 65% of the children enrolled in our before and afterschool programs are military related. We have an average of about 1,250 attending daily, of which 800+ are children of military service members.
- We currently sponsor the Army’s School Age Program in Your Neighborhood (ASPYN). ASPYN is a collaborative effort between the US Army and the Armed Services YMCA to provide soldiers living off-post reduced rate child care comparable to rates on-post. Fees are based on “total family” income. Currently, about 280 children are enrolled in the ASPYN Program.
- We provide financial assistance to families for child care. About 30% of our total participants are on some type of financial assistance and 25% of them are military families.
- Total Number of Military Support Events and Activities from 2009-2011 was 37,460 – serving Soldiers and their Family Members, Veterans, and Gold Star Families.
Be Involved with Killeen, TX ASYMCA
The Armed Services Y provides free or low-cost youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility programs for junior enlisted military & their families to make military life easier.
Click the links to learn more about how you can be involved:
Donate Volunteer Participate