Respite Childcare

With so many demands on today’s families and the
increased focus on early brain development, families need all the support they
can get to nurture the potential of youth. That’s why child care and early
learning programs at the Y focus on holistically nurturing child development by
providing a safe and healthy place to learn foundational skills, develop
healthy, trusting relationships and build self-reliance through the Y values of
caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.


Free respite child care is available for military children up to age 12 at participating YMCA locations for up to 16 hours of respite child care per month, per child, based on the below requirements by the Department of Defense.

Active Duty Title 10 Only (Title 32 personnel not authorized due to funding constraints)

Authorized for families of Deployed Guard and Reserve personnel along with Active Duty families assigned to Independent Duty locations and CBWTU Guard and Reserve personnel.

Beginning Oct 1, 2009, YMCA respite child care will be expanded to licensed child care programs at YMCAs in all states who wish to participate in the program. The care is provided at no cost for children through age 12 for up to 16 hours of care per month, per child. Respite child care is not intended to offset or substitute for full-time, daily child care or for a part-time preschool program.

Eligibility for the program is extended to families while their active duty spouse is deployed to a remote location for a period of at least six months as well as Title 10 families ofdeployed Guard and Reserve personnel and those serving at independent duty locations. Guard and Reserve personnel on current CBWTU orders qualify for the program. This program is authorized through 2013.

Am I Eligibile for Respite Care?

Fill out the Respite Care DoD Eligibility Form and take it to your local participating YMCA.

Ready to Go?

Click here to find participating YMCAs.

A military ID card and copy of current deployment orders, current CBWTU orders or Independent Duty approval form (see section on Active Duty Assigned to Independent Duty locations) are required for enrollment.