STATUS: Part-Time Non-Exempt, Ft. Wainwright Branch
Basic Job Purpose: Under the direct supervision of the Branch Director, Associate Executive Director and/or Executive Director, the Child Watch Specialist ensures the safety of children who are checked into the Children's Waiting Room program while their parents/legal guardian are being seen in an approved, on site clinic for themselves or other immediate household family member. This program aids in fulfilling our mission of enhancing the lives of military members and their families in spirit, mind and body through programs relevant to the unique challenges of military life.
Functions and Duties:
- Ensure a safe and clean environment and provide activities for participants
- Maintain appointments and reservations for CWR operating hours
- Opens and closes Children's Waiting Room room as needed
- Review and maintain proper registration forms, vaccination records and intake forms for each child
- Check participants in and out of the CWR program; ensure parents sign the in/out logs
- Provide customer service via phone, in-person and electronic communications (e-mail) to parents regarding program information or reservations
- Provide a variety of activities for children checked into CWR
- Interact and play with children on their level, as age appropriate
- Model appropriate behavior for children
- Provide a kind, nurturing environment that welcomes all participants
- Provide assistance to children in restroom/diapering and changing clothes as needed in accordance with the ASYMCA of Alaska’s CWR Diapering and Restroom Policy
- Inform parents of any behavioral issues from their child’s time at CWR
- Address any parent concerns with the program, if necessary refer parent or issue to the Branch Director
- Properly clean all toys and play area
- Report unsafe conditions to supervisor & immediately correct condition, if possible.
- Coordinate all repair and maintenance needs with the Branch Director or Associate Executive Director in the Branch Director’s absence
- Answer phones, emails and in-person inquiries as needed
- Inform the Branch Director of any reoccurring requirements for supplies
- Track program usage and statistics on a shared document
- Report monthly statistics to the Branch Director
- Encourage donations from parents using the CWR program
- Assist in other ASYMCA program areas or special events as needed, occasionally outside of standard CWR work schedule
- Identify potential changes or improvements to the CWR program and discuss with the Program Director
- Suggest any new program ideas that may be offered by the ASYMCA to meet the needs of our military members and their families; implement approved new programs or processes
- Be familiar with all other ASYMCA programs and services
- Provide program information and/or referrals to all program participants
- Active play area with child and adult sized seating, toys for various age groups and small staff office area with a phone, laptop, printer/copier and sink.
- Standing for extended periods of time during programs and special events.
- Active movements required to play and interact with program participants (children).
- Sitting, kneeling and stooping for short periods of time and, up/down movement from floor level is required.
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds.
- Ability to interact with the general public, ASYMCA leadership team and co-workers.
- Must be customer service oriented with good phone and interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to type proficiently and have basic knowledge of MS Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Must possess multi-tasking abilities with attention to detail and frequently changing clientele.
- Must be able to function in various work environments to include but not limited to, office/administrative areas, child care facility, indoor and outdoor program spaces.
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision and prioritize work assignments with minimal guidance.
- Must be able to work individually and as part of a team.
- Must be able to operate standard office equipment including but not limited to copiers, scanners and facsimile machines.
- Experience working with military families preferred.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and clean driving abstract.
- Two years of experience in an administrative support position, coordinating events, programs and services.
- Work experience with a non-profit organization preferred.
Post Hire Requirements:
- Pass a background check.
- High School diploma or equivalent.