- Child participants must be the dependent of an active duty, guard, or reserve service member
- A significant female role-model is welcome to fill in for mothers who are not able to attend.
- This event does not have a specific age restriction, but is recommended for ages 6 and up. Please review the considerations to determine is this this event is a good fit for your child.
The following conditions should be considered in determining is this event is suitable for your child’s developmental stage:
- The length of the hike (1.3 miles each direction, 2.6 miles total on well-groomed trails)
- time allotted to complete the hike (approximately 50-60 minutes each way);
- mud and the potential for inclement weather
- Participants must provide their own transportation to the Portage Whistle Stop, which is approximately a 1.5-hour drive outside Anchorage.
Registration is taken on a first-come, first-served basis for eligible participants, and is subject to selling out. Please read through all the steps before proceeding to registration.
- Ensure you meet the eligibility requirements listed above. If you are not certain of your eligibility, please contact the ASYMCA Welcome Center at (907) 552-9622.
- Click the "GET REGISTERED" link below to get to our storefront. This is where you will complete your registration and pay your registration fee.
- In the storefront, click on the "Mother Son Adventure" listing, then click the plus sign to reveal the session. Click the blue "add session" icon and log in as prompted. (Note: If you do not have a profile set up with us, you will need to create one. Make sure you provide a valid email address during profile setup, as this will be required to receive your confirmation and event information.)
- Complete the registration form and check out as prompted.
- Once your registration has been completed, you will receive a follow-up email confirming your registration and providing additional participant information to help you prepare for your adventure.