Limited Operations With Unlimited Support
Our various leaders and officials have called on all of us to prioritize the health and safety of our families.
And, while the COVID-19 virus has pushed us all into new territory, keeping our community healthy strong is what we do Every. Single. Day.
And it’s what we will continue to do at the Armed Services YMCA Killeen until we resume normal operations.
Although we won’t be able to see you in the near future, please return here often for updates and new information. Like yourselves, we continue to carefully monitor the situation and discuss how best to return safely to normal operations.
The Armed Services YMCA Killeen Wellness Center will be temporarily closed through midnight 4/30/2020.
Any changes to facility operations or programming will be made in accordance with the State of Texas disaster response guidelines.
The State of Texas announced today that no gym facilities may remain open from now through the end of April. We will re-assess the situation at that time to determine whether or not it is safe to open again.
There will be a credit applied to membership accounts in good standing for the days we were closed in March. No membership drafts will occur for the month of April.
Membership and Child Care accounts will be reviewed for credit/refund at the time our work force is allowed to return per the State of Texas disaster response guidelines.
We will do everything we can to safely reopen our centers as soon as possible. Together, we will come out of this stronger. And when we emerge from this challenging moment, we look forward to welcoming you and your families back through our doors.
Before & After School Child Care
- We will not be processing any payments for the week of 3/25,30 and 4/6,13,20 & 27
- We are following the local school districts return dates. If you've already made a payment it will be applied to the first week of return.
- Accounts will be reviewed for refund at the time our work force is allowed to return per the State of Texas disaster response declaration.
- Children's Waiting Room will remain open at all three locations
- Carl R. Darnall Army Medical Center - 36065 Santa Fe Ave. Fort Hood, TX 76544
- Armed Services YMCA Program Center - 100 E. Beeline Lane, Harker Heights, TX 76548
- Armed Services YMCA Family Center - 501 Clara Drive, Copperas Cove, TX 76522
- (Appointments must be made to utilize this program 254.458.1015)
- We will limit the number of appointments scheduled to follow guidelines not allowing more than 10 people, including staff, to gather
- Operation Kid Comfort quilt and pillowcase production is suspended until further notice
- Operation Little Learners is suspended until further notice
- Operation Hero is suspended until further notice
Available Resources and Support
We’ve gathered information on several sites with events and information to help you while you hunker down at home. We will continue to work to keep the list updated as we move forward.
United Way – http://www.uwct.org
Armed Services YMCA – Information and resources from our HQ
CDC – Coronavirus, or COVID-19, information, latest updates and need-to-know updates
World Health Organization – Outbreak updates and health information regarding COVID-19
Engage with Education
With schools closed, we are all seeking alternatives to keep kids engaged and learning. Experts suggest families create a schedule and try to stick it with it. Make sure reading time, recess and play make the schedule so it’s well-rounded.
Remember, people who home school full-time aim average about two to three hours a day, so don’t try to sit your kids down for the entire school day. The kitchen makes a great place to learn math, and an outdoor classroom is a wonderful way to get fresh air. Now is a great opportunity to teach your kids how to do laundry, cook dinner, or sew a button.
Here are some homeschooling resources:
- Houston Zoo Live Cams- Tune in to the Houston Zoo Webcams and enjoy a live look at animals that call the Houston Zoo home!
- Bill Nye the Science Guy – This beloved science teacher offers a robust website featuring his original TV program and home demos
- Lunch Doodles with Mo Willems – Kids all ages will love this lunch break where they draw and sketch
- Audible – Snag free kids audio books for as long as school is out
- Disney Imagineering in a Box – In partnership with Khan Academy, Disney offers a free online program and one-of-a-kind learning experience
- SciStarter – A great place to contribute to science through their database of research projects
- Sesame Street and Scholastic.com – These well-known names are stocked with resources for pre-k through sixth grade and more
- Storyline Online – This site includes videos with actors reading children’s books with creatively produced illustrations. Many books include a suggested grade level and a teacher’s guide
- National Geographic – Includes games, videos, brain boosters and more for social studies and science lessons
- code.org – Offering teachers, parents and students extensive materials to help students learn computer science
The closures don’t just mean boredom for far too many military families. It means empty pantry shelves and a lack of child care. If you are able, consider making a donation today to Armed Services YMCA Killeen. When you give even $25, you are providing a family with pantry essentials for up to a week. A generous gift of $100 will enable us to provide one full week of Before and After School Care, including snacks, to a child in need.
While COVID-19 has us closed up right now, eventually our doors will open again. And when that happens, we need to be ready to serve service members still being asked to report for duty and likely to be called to the front-lines.
That’s why we are working to raise $100,000 to ensure that we can be operational ready with the stellar programs and services our families have come to depend on. Join us today to prepare for tomorrow.
After all, our service men and women stand up for us. Now, we need to support them.