Official summer started June 21! Already we're experiencing longer days, warmer weather and lots of sunshine – all of which hopefully leads us to spend time outdoors.There are many benefits to getting outside. Studies show:
- For women, being outside can help you live longer
- Being outside relieves stress and lifts mood.
- Adults who spent time outside as children have better mental health as adults.
- Getting outside helps people appreciate outdoors spaces.
How do you get time outside?
For adults, sometimes it doesn’t seem so easy to get outside. Take work or lunch breaks outside. Grab a co-worker for a quick walk around the block. What about holding a meeting outside?
- For the ultimate in outdoor living: Go camping! Kids can have fun at day or residential camps. They can also try backyard camping. Spend a whole weekend camping. One place to look for sites: recreation.gov
- Find a park – a local one or a national one. The National Park Service offers a free annual pass for U.S. military.
- Have meals outside on a deck or patio, or have a backyard picnic.
- Garden! Involve the whole family in growing plants.
- Go for a walk around your own community.
- Find your local gardens, arboretums, parks, boardwalks and river walks. Some are free, some will have military discounts.
- Try an outdoor scavenger hunt. Gaze out in the stars. Blow bubbles. Take crafts outdoors – who wants to do tye-dye inside? Take pictures and make a scrapbook – leave no trace.
- Keep items close that can help outside play. A few ideas: sidewalk chalk; bubbles; hula hoops; and sports items.
ABOUT ARMED SERVICES YMCA:
The Armed Services YMCA is a registered 501(c)3 nonprofit that serves currently serving military members and their families. In 2018, we engaged more than 225,000 people in our programs and delivered nearly 1 million points of services to junior enlisted Soldiers, Marines, Sailors, Airmen, Coast Guardsmen and family members at 200 service centers in 18 states. Whether providing respite child care for parents in need, summer camps for kids, or assisting with emergency needs, the Armed Services YMCA is a nonprofit with a mission: Strengthening Our Military Family. Visit our website to see how you can join us in supporting military families.