Each year, the Armed Services YMCA – Twentynine Palms holds an event that focuses on encouraging families to make healthier choices and encourage healthy habits.
This year, Armed Services YMCA staff turned Healthy Kids Day into a full week of activities for our military families located aboard the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center.
During the week of April 22–27, each day featured a new healthy activity to promote nutrition, physical activity and emotional and mental health:
- Monday-April 22nd: Devoted to offering healthy snack choices for our Operation Little Learners families.
- Tuesday-April 23rd: Staff and volunteers from the Single Marine Program put together a fun obstacle course made from materials families could easily find at the store. Kids had the opportunity to make their way through the course as many times as they liked.
- Wednesday-April 24th: The theme for this day was “Grow Your Own Food." Children from our Operation Little Learners classes had the opportunity to get their hands dirty planting vegetable seeds to start their own gardens.
- Thursday-April 25th: Representatives from New Parent Support and Military Family Life Counselor programs spoke with families about supporting their children’s emotional and mental health. They spoke about the best ways to encourage our children and support them through all the difficult transitions that military life can sometimes bring.
- Friday-April 26th: Family Day Hike in Joshua Tree National Park. Military families met up with ASYMCA – 29 Palms Staff and Breann Lindsey from YMCA – East Valley to hike the Hidden Valley Trail. Families experienced the super bloom, desert vegetation, and even saw a few chuckwallas up close!
- Saturday-April 27th: We ended our Healthy Kids Week with a bang! Coaching staff and players from the SoCal Coyote semi-professional football team sponsored an afternoon of faith, family, and football for military kids at Del Valle Football Field.
Healthy Kids Week 2019 was a huge success! By the end of the week, 100 children and their parents had participated in our week of activities. The excitement and feedback from our families has staff looking forward to the events lined up for 2020!
Starting the week off with Healthy Snacks for our Operation Little Learners.
Kinder Ready students leap over hurdles during Healthy Kids Week Obstacle Course.
Parents joined in on the seed planting fun with their kids.
Markescia Corker with New Parent Support talks to parents about what children need for emotional support.
Breann Lindsey, YMCA - East Valley, talks to junior hikers about the art of rock-stacking in Joshua Tree National Park.
Participants and SoCal Coyote Staff/Players pose at the end of Saturday's "Above the Line" Football Clinic.