Children's Waiting Room
STRENGTHENING OUR MILITARY FAMILY BY ENSURING ACCESS TO HEALTHCARE
The Armed Services YMCA Children’s Waiting Room (CWR) program began in 2006 with the goal of improving the health and well-being of military members and their families stationed on Oahu. Many young military families are often away from home for the first time, navigating the challenges of military life and raising a young family without a strong social support network. From annual well-baby check-ups to continued physical therapy to counseling and cognitive behavioral therapy, CWR provides military families a stress-free visit while seeing their doctor, picking up a prescription or meeting with a therapist.
CWR is available at Tripler Army Medical Center (TAMC), the largest military medical facility in the Pacific Basin supporting 264,000 local active duty and retired military personnel, their families and veteran beneficiaries. TAMC is a key provider for OB/GYN and Child Psychiatry medical services for military families in Hawaii.
Our staff provides a safe, healthy and nurturing environment for healthy children, 6 weeks to 12 years, while their parent or sibling has a doctor’s appointment. CWR is available to all branches of the military, active duty and retired and is open Monday through Friday, 7:30 am to 3:30 pm; closed for lunch from 12 pm until 12:30 pm. The cost is $10 for up to two children up to two hours and $15 for three or more children up to two hours. Reservations are highly recommended and required for all afternoon appointments.
Reservations can be made by call our Children's Waiting Room on:
- Tripler Army Medical Center (808) 433-3270
IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO REMEMBER:
- Immunizations records must be provided at time of appointment. Flu shot and a TB screening are required. Proof of TB clearance/test must be within the past 12 months.
- We accept children from 6 weeks to 12 years.
- Payment can be made by cash or personal check made out to ASYMCA.
- Maximum drop off time is only two hours. We understand extenuating circumstances may require a medical appointment lasting more than two hours. Please contact our CWR staff to see if space is available. Reservations are required for these special cases.
- Children with a morning appointment MUST be picked up by 11:45 am and children with an afternoon appointment MUST be picked up by 2:45 pm.
- All children MUST wear covered shoes if they are walking.
- All infants, under 12 months, must wear socks or baby shoes.
- Diaper/pull ups, wipes and a change of clothes must be provided. Please be sure to change your child’s diaper or pull up before dropping them off at CWR.
- Belongings must be labeled with the child’s name.
- ASYMCA is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- We allow children to have a light snack (crackers & juice) but the parent must provide the snack.
- NO PEANUTS OR PEANUT PRODUCTS ALLOWED.
- We allow bottles and sippy cups.
- The parent must premix bottles of formula prior to drop off.
- NO MEDICATION will be given at CWR.
- Not returning the CLINIC VALIDATION FORM to the CWR staff upon pickup may result in loss of CWR privileges.