Helping Military Kids Discover the Hero Within!
What is Operation Hero?
- Operation Hero is a program designed to assist military children with the challenges of military life from grades 2nd to 6th.
- Our programs are designed to assist students in creating a stable academic environment when they are faced with duty station transfers and parents deployments.
- School requirements can sometimes take a back seat when a child is so busy adjusting to changes in the family environment.
- We hope to offer an afterschool environment that makes the school transition smoother for families.
- Operation Hero assists children to develop confidence, cope with change and develop to their full potential.
How Operation Hero Works
- The program intervenes at the first signs of difficulty in a child’s academic performance.
- Our goal is to help students work through stressors that will allow them to succeed academically and make positive life changes.
- The group meets 2 hours, twice weekly, for ten weeks.
- A facilitator leads the group in "talk it out" style sessions.
- Students receive individualized homework assistance or engage in educational reading.
- Personal journal entries are encouraged as a means of self-reflection and self-expression.
If you are a parent, school counselor or administrator and interested in having Operation Hero available at your school, please email our Director of Programs, Makerita Baugh MBaugh@asymcahi.org
Spring 2020 session: February 24, 2020 - May 7, 2020
- Operation Hero is held Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday after school for two hours
Confirmed Elementary Schools for Spring 2020 Session of Operation Hero Referral & Registration Forms
- Referral Form Due Date is Monday, February 10
- Registration Packet Due Date is Tuesday, February 18
- Download and fill out referral form and registration packet listed below. Please return to school office in box marked Operation Hero. You may also drop off to the ASYMCA Branch nearest to your elementary school (listed in the referral form).